Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Shark love.


Wednesday November 14, 2012
            My boys love sharks. Uncle Jesse (my younger brother) bought Hudson a much-advanced 'Ocean and Sea' book (Scholastic) for his birthday. We have looked at it everyday since, numerous times a day. We used to look at it page by page, not stopping long enough to read the descriptions, of course. Now Hudson wants to see only the page with the “juicy” fish on it, which is a terrifying, deep sea fish that glistens, (ironically, this is the only page he’ll let me read the descriptions, which further solidifies my fear of the ocean), and the “ew” page which shows animals covered in oil (must be a boy thing). Oh. And, of course, the shark page. The book came with a 91 page digital companion book that we finally got around to downloading. It’s called “Shark Spotter”. That’s when the shark love began and when Harper jumped on board with this whole ocean thing.
            Every time I am on my computer Harper comes over saying, “arrr!” which is his (and Hudson’s) word for shark (also their word for lion. I guess they know fierce animals when they see them). I pull Harper up on my lap to look at the digital shark book. Hudson soon follows. It’s already happened three times since sitting here.
            The other day Harper was sitting alone on our bed while the rest of us were in the living room. For 10-15 minutes he was beside himself with excitement for finding the shark page, “ARRR! ARRR!” and then a giggle/scream.
            Boise has an awesome aquarium! It has small sharks and even shark eggs you can touch. We are all super impressed by the aquarium and especially the sharks, although I still can’t bring myself to touch them (No. I wasn't bribed to give the aquarium a good review, although I think I should be. I better get on that.)
            The other day I cooked up some “shark” in my crock-pot. The boys gobbled it down, not thinking it at all odd that we were eating shark, which incidentally tasted a lot like pork. Mmm. Delicious.
            I better sign off now, as Hudson is bored of eating peanut butter right from the container whilst sitting on the counter, and Harper is done/cold from locking and unlocking our open sliding glass door. Never mind, make that four times Harper has come over to see the sharks. And here comes Huddo. Maybe naptime would have been a better time to write . . . .

Shark petting at the Idaho Aquarium (last winter).


 "Nemo" - Hudson's former favorite attraction and the current name for the aquarium.


Hudson opening Uncle Jesse's (aka "Sess" or "Hesse") gift at this 3rd birthday.


 Harper and the touch tanks (which he tries to dive into).


Best buds now (thanks to the book and also some serious time spent playing with Jesse's climbing gear)


The page with the "juicy" fish.

- By the time I actually posted this, complete with photos, the boys had already taken a bath with their sharks and cars (Don’t worry. I can see them from my perch. And Yes. I did put them into the bath not to wash them but to contain them), and escaped from said bath (that’s a new trick), to run naked around the house. I know I’ll be finding pee somewhere from Harper.

No comments:

Post a Comment